Cdes header

program name College of Design
program name

Saturday, March 5, 2016

Figuring Form: An Investigation Into Designing With Spline Geometry

By: Adam Voth 
Course: ARCH 8251 - Graduate Design Studio 1
Instructors: Gayla Lindt and Andrew Lucia

My project for the Fall ’15 studio involved the collection of geometric information from the site in and employing the data to figure the building proposal. The client was The Institute For Figuring, a live/work studio in Prospect Park, Minneapolis dedicated to the point at which art and science intersect. I was intrigued by their mission statement, specifically the curiosity that the Institute possesses regarding their exploration of geometries in a manner that is both beautiful and surprising.


Site Context



I set out with an investigation of the site was through the lens of geometric information. My building proposition developed from my curiosity of both visible and invisible geometric information, particularly the set of relationships embedded within the spline curve. Each curve is bound by a frame and set of control points.



Spline Properties

The use of Rhino allowed me the liberty to designate control points that were prevalent within the site, which allowed me the ability to create the spline curve. From there, I was able to apply employ the use of Grasshopper to cull the tangential and perpendicular information embedded within the curve. My intent for this project was that the mission of the Institute For Figuring would physically manifest itself within the Prospect Park neighborhood.




Spline Information

No comments :

Post a Comment